100 Years, 100 Buildings by John Hill
Hardcover, 320 pages
This, my second book, was released on October 6, 2016 in the United States, with a German-language version released in Europe on October 3, 2016.
Some words on it from the publisher:
The founder of the blog A Daily Dose of Architecture, John Hill, is obsessed with his subject and determined to expose his fellow citizens to the glorious structures that shape our environment. In this beautifully designed compendium Hill presents his selection of the most significant building to be built each year from 1916 to 2015. Each two-page spread includes one or two large color photos and text that explains the importance of each structure.Some press coverage:
Starting with H. P. Berlage’s Holland House in London and closing with Diller Scofidio + Renfro’s newly completed Broad museum in Los Angeles, Hill has combed the globe for iconic buildings. Notable inclusions are Helsinki Railroad Station; the Solimar Building in Cuba; Le Corbusier’s Mill Owners’ Association building in Ahmadabad, India; Habitat 67, a housing complex in Montreal; and Tadao Ando’s Church of the Light in Osaka, Japan. What makes this collection so extraordinary is Hill’s criteria for the buildings included: each must be able to be seen, approached, or explored by the average person.
An introductory essay and a timeline that highlights important architectural events round out this engrossing survey that demonstrates the underlying themes and developments in the world of architecture today.
- GDC Interiors, "100 of the World's Most Important Buildings" by Raci, date unknown
- Library Journal (PDF link), November 15, 2016
- The Tangential: "'100 Years, 100 Buildings' Surveys Remarkable Architecture From 1916 to 2015" by Jay Gabler, November 25, 2016
- Metropolis Magazine: "All the Books You Need to Read This Fall," October 2016
- The Huffington Post: "100 Buildings in 100 Years" by J. Michael Welton, September 22, 2016
- NBS, "100 years 100 buildings" by Richard McPartland, September 14, 2016
- Architects + Artisans: "100 Years, 100 Buildings, by John Hill," September 14, 2016
- Architectural Digest: "Tour 100 of the Most Influential Buildings from the Last 100 Years," September 6, 2016
Lastly, the full, year-by-year bibliography for the book can be found here in PDF format.